All Saints' and St. Nicholas' Churches
Church of England
Poplar, Tower Hamlets, London E14
All Saints' Icon
The idea to have a permanent memorial to our Christian heritage in Poplar surfaced some years ago, and guided by our architect, Tom Hornsby, we commissioned the artist, Meg Lawrence, to design a painted panel which has been fixed to the wall behind the eagle lecturn in the Lay Chapel at the entrance to the sanctuary.
We were also helped in the project by a grant of £5,000 from the Jerusalem Trust as well as donations from Poplar people, both past and present.The central focus of the panel is the figure of Jesus surrounded by the six pastoral saints of the other churches in the Parish of Poplar (The Archangel Gabriel, the Archangel Michael, St. Nicholas, St. Frideswide, St Stephen and St. Matthias), five of which were destroyed in the 1940's or closed at that time.
Christ's footstool is the slain dragon, which, with St. Michael's sword symbolises the victory of Christ over evil. Above the saints is a boat, symbolising the church. The people in the boat depict the local faithful departed, with six representative people from All Saint's history:- Father Philip Bartlett, Bishop Mark Hodson, Daphne Jones, Sister Grace Rudman, Father Michael Bourne and Father Robert Dolling.